Prevention of electrocautery-related fires in the operating room
A 57-year old patient with a pancreatic lesion concerning for malignancy underwent subtotal pancreatectomy utilizing Bovie electrocautery. In two separate events during the surgery, the Bovie tip burned through the surgical resident's gown while held in the resident's hand in between use. Despite confirming the appropriate settings (Cut 35/Coag 35) and exchanging the hand piece, short tip, and long tip, the events recurred. This case discussion will focus on operating room fire safety with an emphasis on electrocautery hazard and anesthesia personnel fire safety training to prevent and address operating room fires.
Chon C, Katz E, Havens A, Soto RG. Prevention of electrocautery-related fires in the operating room. Abstract presented at: Anesthesiology 2019. American Society of Anesthesiology, Orlando, FL; 2019 October 19-23.